Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Jumping for joy

I did my first jumps wind wing skiing! They were actually much smaller when I took the photo than in my mind. I hoped I’d jumped at least the 205cm length of my skis and realized I’d barely gone 100cm! But my sense of adventure was huge on this day.

Fun self portrait was a side effect of taking a photo of my tiny 1 metre jumps

Windy had predicted back on Saturday that it would be windy on Tuesday afternoon. I headed out to the Launch Pad after lunch. Indeed the wind picked up while I was out and the warm weather and sun meant my wife came out on snowshoes to take photos.





54 seconds of my session on Vimeo

I am excited that I am getting the chance to learn the wing on the snow. I think it will really help when I am using the wing to foil board in water. For example I have realized that holding back of the wing down during the jibe keeps it powered, better than just letting it float when heading downwind. It is also great to be on the snow and just stop wherever I want to make adjustments.

It is super fun to ride right over islands rather than turn up or downwind when there is a shoal in my way.


After a slow start, things picked up. Max speed 35.7 km/h was just .1 km/h faster than Sunday but considering the wet snow, I’m happy with that. I called it a session as a brief rain shower blew through after an hour and 12.5 km.

The sun disappearing...

We opened up the Launch Pad and had the hydro on for 1.5 hours. It heated up pretty well!

By the time I was packed up the sun was poking through again.



1 comment: