Wednesday, May 22, 2024

A great Bay Day

Three sessions by myself today. And another session with Jen! 

Later in the day sailing Jen’s gear

It was a windy day on Georgian Bay for sure. My first outing was a long one on the 4m Unit wing and 1080 foil under the 125l Sky board. I found it challenging getting upwind and out of our channel. A bit of flashback to 3 years ago. 

Lots of time floundering in the channel to start

And then a long time on the foil!

Eventually I got out and was exploring the bay and linking jibes. And working on tacks and even got a heelside tack. I was using the green bouys as turning markers. I need better harness lines on that Unit.  
Then I sailed Jens gear upwind. 

Sailing Jen’s gear upwind


Sailed Jen’s gear upwind then followed her in the boat


Jen out giving it another try!

Jen had a good go at foiling with the 5m Slick and the 2000cm foil under her new 142l Sky WS foil board.  More about her sessions on the Launch Pad Blog.

I went back out and found it interesting that the 5m Slick was just as quiet and stable as the Unit. 

Spent a moment looking underwater
for that shoal in our channel
(Thus the weird north/south GPS trail
when my watch was under water)

Nice long time completely up on the foi!

This carpet needs some more cleaning!

Finally, after doing some carpet shampooing I headed out as the wind jumped to 20knots. I rigged up the 5.6m Idol sail and unpacked the Skate 108 from the trip to Hatteras. So it was my first time this year windsurfing in Canada.

Windsurfing for the first time in Key Harbour this year
Got 2 jibes counted…

A few good runs on the windsurfer

Great afternoon wind
and then a nice kick that I caught at 6pm

Only got 2 jibes counted on the Windsports app - but they weren’t full carving jibes. The duck one was the better of the two. The south wind was plenty warm. I was in my 4/3 wetsuit and then didn’t even wear booties for my windsurfing session!

Leaving tomorrow and packing for the WeCanFoil event in Halifax. Let’s see if I get a session in.

No comments:

Post a Comment