Saturday, September 5, 2020

First foil student - Len!

Well it is fitting that Len who created the nice Launch Pad logo got to be a student there. Of course he is a  great windsurfer, having lived in Bonaire for 10 years. He would take some of his students to Jibe city after class which added to why so many students loved him in Bonaire.

Len has been hearing me go on about foiling for 3.5 years. So I finally got him out on the foil. He rocked it, far exceeding my or his expectations. I set up the Techno with the medium 24 inch slingshot flight school mast and 76 cm front wing. It was blowing 13-18 knots so he went on the 5.4 Duke (the same sail he used on his last session before becoming a dad!).

On his very first run he got up on the foil several times. I like how the Techno works for a beginner, as it glides smoothly and linearly with the lift of the foil creating a smooth transition to flying and doesn‘t pearl the nose when you overfoil and fall back in the water. I hadn't really thought that the Launch Pad Windsurf Academy would be a foil school too, but I guess I've got the gear. 

I then rushed out after Len on the SeaDoo to remind him not to waterstart, or at least be super careful of his legs and toes if he does. While I was out I got some fun photos. He must have done 30 runs back and forth, getting up several times on each run, and sometimes going for very long stretches on the foil. Superstar!

Len didn‘t have a harness, so his arms will be sore, but the smile sure indicated he had a good time. Vanessa got some great video which I hope to edit and post here when I have better Wifi. Here are the photos in the meantime!

First off - the hero shot after just 5 runs!

Now in chronological order:
Len getting ready to foil for the first time

I saw him get up on the first run!

Chasing Len with the Seadoo

Yes, it flies!

He's got it!

Cruising now - amazingly without footstraps!

Smiling dad!

Baby Timo and Len's cheering section

Heading upwind

And more runs

Inevitable fall going fast downwind

Cruising back to the dock

All smiles for an awesome first foil session.
Just wait Len till you try it upwind riding on the waves.

Len wasn't the only one to get a session. Earlier in the day before Len and I arrived, Phillip had been out on the Techno with the normal 34 cm skeg before I converted the Techno to foiling for Len. Phillip had a chance to try my nice 5.6 Idol and also the 6.2 Duke sail. He said he was out for 1.5 hours and he looked pretty happy and tired. The wind had jumped from 17 to 24 knots during his session but had then backed off for Len's session.

I figured having both Len and Phillip on the water was enough for the day. I was about to go back for dinner, when I looked at the wind. It was back to 17 knots so I headed out on the 6.2 Duke and Freewave 116. What a blast. I windsurfed 26 kms in just over an hour, planing 75% of the time and max speed 48 km/h. The Freewave with the single centre strap is super smooth and forgiving and I felt very comfortable 

That XCEL 2 mil Axis long leg wetsuit is awesome in the 18c wind. It was from the west, I was able to explore with some nice long runs south but didn‘t quite make it upwind to the waves. Next time.

I headed back for a wonderful last dinner with Len and family, enjoying the fancy aged steaks that the team at work had given me for my 30th work anniversary. What a great Saturday.


Track view from the west

Solid west wind for Phillip, Len then me.

Sunset view after my surprise evening session

I heard later that night that the kids who were staying on the island
finished the full windsurfer puzzle!



1 comment:

Followers